Friday 9 March 2012

Review : elf eye primer

I am usually quite a fan of ELF products, i've tried eyeshadows, nail polishes, even a loose face powder, and ever time i've been really happy with the quality of the product.
Give the company its due respect, for the incredibly cheap prices the products are of fantastic quality, however after purchasing the ELF eyelid primer, i've definetly been reminded that you get what you pay for with things like this.



When I first recieved the product, I was actually quite happy, the formula was a little greasy feeling, but the colouring was great, it matched my skin tone perfectly and wasnt visible, it definetly have my eye a 'smoother' complexion. I was doubtful at first, but it actually did help my eyeshadow and eyeliner stay on much longer that it would without primer. Of course it wasn't to the standard of Urban Decay Primer Potion, but for £1.50, I thought it was a miracle product.

It wasn't till using the product for a further week or two that it started to cause problems. I woke up one morning and my left eye was really itchy, it was also quite red, theres was no really visible indication that there was something wrong, but my eye was definetly irritated from something. I thought nothing of it at the time and done my make up as I usually did. I applied my 'miracle product' and everything else, and left for school. During the day, my eye was becoming more and more irritated feeling and I was rubbing at it constantly.

Over the next few days, my eye worsened. The on my left eyelind became incredibly dry and flaky, just as my right eye was beginning also to become itchy and irritated. More fool me, I carried on using the product, thinking it was just the cold weather chapping at my skin. I actually got the flu just as my eyes were at there worst, and over my 2 weeks of sickness and not applying make up, my eyes cleared up. After talking to my Mum about what could of been causing it, we decided it would be best if I boycotted the Primer for a week or 2 after going back to school to see how my eye went.
And surprise surprise, it actually didn't become horrible and dry again. I have since binned the primer and plan on never buying a product like that from ELF again.

So, bit of advice, things like primer are definetly something you should be prepared to spend a little bit more money on, or none at all, because most of the cheap ones I think, are only going to waste your money, and not give you the full benefit of what primer can do for your daily make up routine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi did you buy the studio range? because that's still cheap but better quality make-up. Good post though !!
    you have a new follower... please follow me ! www.imitationisthegreatestformofflattery.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i'm pretty sure I bought this before they brought out a studio version, I still stand by my view that you should invest in something like primer but!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Love reading them, and I promise I read every single one! xo